Sunday, March 21, 2010

Another Softy

Of course once I made a toy out of my younger son's drawing, my older son wanted one too. So this is his drawing, it's an alien, in case you were wondering.

And this is Carl. Try not to pay attention to the placement of the 7 legs.

On this project, I first learned that you will break your needle if you are using a quilting foot when you try to use an applique stitch (Sorry Mom!) I then learned how to get the hair between the two sides of the head by sewing it on the front of the face upside down (so the hair is basically covering Carl's eyes) and then clipping the fabric below the seam so it will be the right shape when you turn it right side out. After I figured that out (with the help of my mom) it was fairly simple to sew the legs and arms the correct way keeping it all inside the "pocket" when sewing the two right sides together. I also learned that I do not know how to whip-stitch and that even when I do know how I need to be strategic in placing it. I could have put it behind the hair instead of the chin which shows how ugly it is. I didn't know I would be doing this blog when I made these, but I will try to post pics of the steps to give a better idea of how it all went down.

3 comments:

  1. Kori! These are soo cute and such a great idea!! I'm going to have to try my hand at one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these Kori! I love how literal you've gone with it. I want you to make one of Max's drawings. What is your rate?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina- Let me know how it goes, and send me some pics!
    Glenn- Yeah, I tried to make it their creation as close as I could. It's pretty fun. I emailed you as far as cost and so forth :)

    ReplyDelete